Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Yankees' Misfortune Soothes My Pain...

I've been reluctant to post for the past week or so, in part out of being busy, but mostly because just about the only thing on my mind has been the Red Sox, and I think I make a lousy sports blogger except maybe when I'm talking about punching geriatric Nat's fans.

Anyway, I feel like the pain I felt from watching the Sox lose on Friday night has been entirely erased by the Yankees' loss to the Angels. As a Sox fan, we don't expect to win it all, and frankly the only real disappointment in the Sox losing to the White Sox was that it ended the celebration of 2004 (not in my heart or mind though). But Yankees fans have an air of entitlement that I'm not sure exists elsewhere in American sports.

Here's a question -- is there a Sox fan who would really want to trade places with a Yanks fan? Most of us who are old enough to remember the joy of watching the Celtics dominate the NBA know it's a different pleasure than the wild adventure and the ultimate result of the 86 year-old quest.

I wanted to leave you with a post I made on an Internet forum about Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu of all things with a Yankees fan that I have met in person. Like many other Yankee stadium miscreants, and far too many other men in the NY area, he's under the impression he's an extra from Goodfellas or the Sopranos.

Someone on that board made a post about wondering if the guy in question was going to commit suicide with the latest Yanks playoff loss, and I responded that it was hard to feel sympathy for a team with their winning history and owner who buys all the best players.

This dude flipped out (and unfortunately the thread appears to have been deleted) and told me that I was repeating a tired line used by people who "don't know shit" about baseball, since the Yanks had been successful with homegrown prospects in the 90s. Ironically, after questioning my intelligence (that I never professed to have -- I'm no boski93) on the matter, he went on to whine about how he owns a ticket agency, and probably lost $30,000 that he expected to make based on the (typical Yanks fan mentality) idea of them going to the series. He then blamed the Yanks recent string of post season misfortune to Steinbrenner bringing in players who don't contribute to the team chemistry.

I cheerfully reminded him that Yanks fans get all excited when Steinbrenner whips out his wallet and signs Contreras, A-Rod, and Randy Johnson, and only whine about chemistry when the latest mercenary doesn't deliver the expected World Series Crown.

So that's all for today....stay tuned for a (hopefully) witty post about the lyrics and singing in Cinderella's "Nobody's Fool" being unlikely to convey the desired effect.

4 Comments:

Blogger d said...

If we had gotten A-Rod last year and he sucked for us in the clutch as much as he's sucked for the Yankees in the clutch, can you imagine how much we'd be hearing it from Yankees fans?

They really should confer with me before signing players. I could have told them Jaret Wright, Carl Pavano, and Kevin Brown were bad investments.

Not Bellhorn, though.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Boski93 said...

It seems like Yanks are going back to those days of the Mid to Late 80's. Paging Rick Rhoden, Paging Rick Rhoden.

I do agree with Richard in that you have to hand it to Steinbrenner that he wants to win and in a city that has as much patience as ADD kid hopped up on sugar he does what he can. But Yankee fan all of this comes at and now you pay the piper. Which all of us non-Yankee fans can relish as the fans and their press go all Jonestown and prepares the KoolAid.

I would love to see a cap in baseball, look what it has done for football. It will also bring the NHL back from oblivion.

Also when is that post about "Nobody's Fool" coming.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Sox were lucky not to get A-Rod. He chokes harder than the Braves. I mean, an average of .133 in the division series?

6:12 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I never understood the part of the Yankee-fan argument that they have homegrown talent like Jeter, Bernie, etc. Well, the A's have homegrown talent, too, they just can't afford to keep them let alone add free agents to supplement the roster. That's sort of the point.

Great, you drafted Derek Jeter. You also were able to re-signed him.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home