Saturday, October 29, 2005

"Much Too Young to Feel This Damn Old"

My wife took me out for my birthday (31) last night, and after dinner we stopped by a local icecream shop. Most of the people who work there look like high school kids. They were playing a mix of '80s music that included Billy Ocean's song about getting out of dreams and into cars when it hit me and I whispered to my wife "THESE PEOPLE WEREN'T BORN WHEN THIS SONG CAME OUT!"

It was weird, I guess the same way people who were 30 or so looked at kids like me who were listening to Led Zep and the Dead back in the 80s/90s. I started having some other related thoughts -- that Guns N' Roses' first album is older than Aerosmith's first disc was when I started listening to GNR; that my first electric guitar that I bought in '91 is old enough that had I bought a similarly old guitar back then I would have considered it vintage.

Oh well, enough of that.

BTW, big ups to boski93 and other White Sox fans who stuck with them all these years despite the lack of success and the fashionable cache of rooting for those "lovable losers" the Cubs. I've only run into two Chicagoans in recent months (and unfortunately work next to one of them) and both immediately sold out their Cubs allegiance for the Sox once the post-season began. Disgusting. One of my collegues who is an accomplished blues guitarist himself told me that Muddy Waters used to watch White Sox games while sitting in his underwear and drinking champagne, so I'm glad for both him and boski.

3 Comments:

Blogger Boski93 said...

You know that is how I watched all the playoff games this year. It made some days at the office a little awkward.

I understand where you are coming from. To me I can not trust anyone who was born after the Mircle on Ice. What do they know about such heady things like:

Where's the Beef
Skinny Ties
Pac Man Fever

8:48 AM  
Blogger MMA Media Advantage said...

boski, i think i'm falling in love with you all over again.

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice use of a Garth Brooks song. First album, Garth Brooks very good. Second album...HE'S LAZY! (Remember, not all Americans are fat and lazy...some are fat, and some are lazy!)

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home