Saturday, October 15, 2005

Cinderella

My wife gave further evidence to why it was a good idea that I married her last weekend when I suggested that she choose the next CD during our road trip to northern New Jersey, and she chose a Monsters of Rock compilation.

There's a lot of good '80s metal on there -- Ratt's "Round and Round," Quiet Riot's "I Wanna Rock," and many more, but the one song that really tripped me up was Cinderella's "Nobody's Fool."

In the interest of full disclosure, I will freely, nay, proudly, admit that I recently bought Cinderella's "Rocked, Wired, and Bluesed," greatest hits disc, so I'm a bit of a fan of their bluesier take on metal, but "Nobody's Fool" just sounds silly.

It's certainly not the first song that I've thought didn't rock as much as it did, say, four months ago when I bought "Rocked, Wired, and Bluesed," not to mention as much as it did back in '89. But I just don't think it's a good idea to proclaim "I'm not your fool!/Nobody's fool!" in a voice roughly as high and quavery as your average eunach.

It brought to mind a vision of a potential video for the song (I haven't seen one if it already exists) where the singer confronts his girlfried who is probably cheating on him/stealing his money/stealing his lipstick, and she's got her posse of denim/spandexed/teased hair/too much make-up '80s mall chicks around her, and he's got the rest of the guys in Cinderella, who are basically just prettier versions of her friends, and she's kind of laughing in his face and calling him a chump. Then he wags a finger in her face, and proclaims "I'M NOT YOUR FOOOOOOOOOL!" and his bandmates lean forward and harmonize with "NOBODY'S FOOOOOOL, NOBODY'S FOOOOOOOOOOOOL!" Then they dance around a bit, and head off to buy some more Aqua Net.

1 Comments:

Blogger Boski93 said...

BRG, if you could have only been around to make videos in the day. MTV would still actually be playing music videos.

Also where in Northern New Jersey were you? The Better Half went to school back there.

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home