Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Random Thoughts from an NBA Game

I attended a Washington Wizards game at the MCI (soon to be Verizon) Center last night with my friend Steve. Like most people there, we had corporate tickets that we didn't pay for. Here are a few things I thought about:

1) We got to our seats about five minutes before introductions/tip-off. There must have been a total of roughly 200 people there at that point.

2) Is it really necessary for the PA system to keep blaring rap music DURING the play?

3) Can anyone reliably hit an open jumper or a relatively uncontested layup?

4) No? OK, can anyone reliably bring the ball up the court without any press going on and not cough up the ball?

5) Those inflatable sticks are fun to bang and stuff, but it's annoying when the guy behind you is doing it in your ear. And no, I'm not being a hypocrite, because there was no one in front of me in my section for the entire game.

6) If some dufus is going to get called out of the crowd and has an oportunity to hit a 3-point shot and if he hits, the whole crowd gets free pizza, and he misses badly (skimmed the backboard, no rim), he's just making things worse if he grabs the ball and follows up with an airball.

7) If little kids are going to be featured in a dunk contest on like 4 foot rims during a time out, they should to more than basic dunks with 2-hands in front. I want to see windmills, behind the back or through the legs moves....is this what dunk contests are going to look like when these kids inherit the earth?

8) However, the young kids (junior high or younger) who played some game at half time were really short, but they appeared to have better fundamentals than the NBA players.

9) So NBA basketball in DC in 2006 isn't what NBA basketball was in Boston in 1986, but from what I've heard, it's not in Boston in 2006 either. Hopefully it's more similar though.

10) One last funny thing before I christen myself Bill Simmons: I'm in the elevator in the parking garage on the way in, and a man is there with his little son who was wearing a Virginia Tech sweatshirt. I look at the kid, then look at the man and say "He's not going to stomp on my leg, is he?"

It took the guy a second to realize I was referring to Marcus Vick's bowl game antics (the look on his face initially was that he thought I was referring to the fact that the two of them were black) but he thought it was funny.

4 Comments:

Blogger d said...

They really play music during the game parts of the game? Do they dribble in time to the music?

9:02 AM  
Blogger Eric XXL said...

"He's not going to stomp on my leg, is he?"

You have to be careful, kid could have pulled a gun on you

*groan*

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you were going to make a comment based on them being black, it would have been more along the lines of...um, nevermind.

Besides, I think it's nice the elevator operator has his kid with him while he works...

10:17 AM  
Blogger Boski93 said...

I hope you do not mind some random comments on "Random Thoughts"

1. What a mid week game verus the Jazz is not thrilling enough for the populace to come out in droves. By your comments would it be safe to say that there many of 12,797 came as empty seats?

2. Yes it is. Without the music the younger fans may get distracted and wander off. It could be worse you could have a DJ spinning during the game, like they did for the Indoor Lacrosse.

3. The midrange jumper and fundimentals were both murdered in the ealry 90's. Their bodies have never been found.

4. No the players today lack the "handles" to deal with the press. Also a note, the last time traveling was called Dec. 18, 1996.

5. Oh the Thunder Stix. I remember when they were brand new and so cute, but now they are ugly angry awkward teenagers.

6. They need to up the stakes on the fan shooting contest. Make it, everyone gets pizza. Miss and you are looking at a bear mauling.

7. Again I agree. Why aren't the kids working on their dunks. When was the last time you saw small kids trying to dunk over a tricycle. The kids today just don't want it as much.

8. Obiviously, those kids have not watched enough SportsCenter yet. (That's Leviatation, Holmes)

9. I do too miss the NBA of our youth. When teams could shoot, pass, and run the break. Back when games were . . . fun. Oh I do miss the days of Showtime. Hell, I miss the Doug Moe coached Nuggets and so on and so on.

10. Oh why do you have to diss Ron Mexico's new wingman, Ron New Mexico like that. I wish I had come up with that Ron New Mexico line.

P.S. The Wizards need to go back to being the Bullets. And bring back the Red, White and Blue uni's. Maybe get Wes Unsled, Mitch Kupchek and Elvin Hayes back.

Also if I had known you were seeing the Jazz I would have given you a list of unflatering platitudes to voice to Greg Osterass.

Well I have gone long enough. Kind like the last 2 minutes of either a College or Pro hoops game.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home