Sunday, July 31, 2005

In an odd twist...

.... I've been reading lots of "real news" to distract myself from the horror that is Manny Ramierez. I'm still allowing myself to check Boston.com way too frequently, but I forced myself to get through a long Newsweek feature on John Roberts. Normally I'd never pick up Newsweak, and I also have a strange aversion to reading about the Supreme Court, so this was quite a feat on my part.

I hate the fact that:

a) Manny is being a total jerk.
b) He makes $20 million annually and I don't.
c) He became a lot more likeable last year, especially due to his post-season slugging, which is burned permanently on my mind.
d)Due to b), the Sox won't get anything approaching fair value for him.
e)Trading him at this point is unlike dishing Nomar, which looked bad at first but turned out really well because it fills no obvious void (ie bullpen) and Manny is hitting well.

All it seems to do is get rid of one of their best players, and replace him with a few lesser lights, not to mention possibly having to toss in one or two of the Sox top prospects.

Can't Whitey Bulger just threaten Manny that he'll kill him if he doesn't get his ass in gear, get on the field every night, stop botching easy plays, and to take a leak before jogging out the to the field?

2 Comments:

Blogger d said...

C is what broke my frickin' haht.

Meaghan kept saying, "He asks to be traded every year." Yeah, but last year he loosened up, had fun, and I thought the almost-A-Rod trade woke him up to the fact that he had something amazing going here. Not to mention that he's the only person in the history of the world who can say he was World Series MVP for the Red Sox (they didn't give out the award in the teens). He was one of the super-stars of the most dramatic sports win in history and all he had to do was hit 80% as well as he has for a few more years and you'll be taking the Manny Ramirez Expressway to the David Ortiz Bridge so you can go to the state capital in Beacon Schill. The fact that after all that he wanted to go... hard to swallow.

But Remy defended him the day he got booed, and I listen to Remy. Also, Meaghan now says Manny's just dumb and just talks without thinking it through, and I think I agree. I want to like Manny, I want to love him. So maybe he's Pedro instead of Varitek, threatening to go to the Yankees every time Shaugnessy pisses him off. We could do a lot worse than having another Pedro.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Boski93 said...

If the Red Sox did not have David Ortiz, Manny would be the second Gold Glover to be a DH (first being Mr. Positive himself Raffy, which was B.S. how do you get a gold glove playing 30 games at 1B?).
Just think of all the runs he would drive in and all the runs he would save by not being a danger to himself or other in the outfield.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home