Thursday, March 24, 2005

Have You Had Your Daily Dose . . .

. . . of John Lee Hooker?

I chose his album with Canned Heat randomly from iTunes as I sat down at my Mac to do a bit of work and was just knocked over.

I've listened to Hooker for about 15 years now. When I first started listening to the blues, I asked my sister's ex for some recommendations, and started with the Hook. It was an even better gift than the tape (remember those?) case that he gave me for my high school graduation.

Sometimes I don't put on one of his discs for months at a time, and sometimes when I do, it just doesn't move me. But boy, those Hooker and the Heat tunes really hit me today...hard enough that I skipped the haircut I was planning to get and just kind of sat in front of the computer looking for excuses (looked at some photos, brushed up my resume, etc.) to stay here and listen to him moaning and stuttering.

So if you haven't listened to John Lee Hooker today, I suggest you do so immediately. Hooker and the Heat is not a bad place to start at all...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home